Purpose of Position: The Pianist or Organist works in conjunction with the Pastor/Officiant and Choir Director by performing music from the piano or organ which contributes to the musical portion of worship services. This includes using the piano and/or organ to provide a prelude and postlude for Sunday services, leading the congregation in hymns, and providing accompaniment for the choir, soloists, and musicians for the praise of God.
The opportunity exists for the Pianist to learn to play the organ (lessons provided at the church’s expense) if not already an accomplished organist.
Given the correct skill set, may assume the additional capacity and responsibility of the Choir Director and be known as the First Church Music Director
• Solid keyboard ability to play hymns and anthems to accompany the choir and/or other musicians in the performance of music. Music degree in Piano or Organ Performance is preferred but not required.
• Knowledge of worship tradition and a sufficient liturgical understanding to select music which is appropriate for church services is preferred.
• A reliable and dependable communicator who is sensitive and supportive of the needs of the church congregation.
• Experience accompanying church choirs, soloists, and instrumentalists is preferred.
• Select preludes and postludes and perform all musical selections at each Sunday service. • Participate in weekly 90-minute choir rehearsals on designated dates and times and play at additional rehearsals as necessary.
• Accompany the 45-minute choir rehearsal prior to Sunday services under the direction of the Choir Director.
• Accompany the choir during the Sunday morning service.
• Follow the guidance from the Choir Director for music tempo, dynamics, and other necessary directions.
• Play for special worship services within the church calendar. (Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, etc.)
Pianist/Organist Qualifications, Purpose, and Responsibilities:
• Play for any special programs, community events, or ecumenical services as planned by the Pastor or the Music Committee, as available.
• Accompany children’s choir practices and performances as needed and coordinate scheduling with the Junior Choir Director.
• Play for or have first refusal for weddings and funerals when a piano or organ is requested. Compensation will be provided by the parties involved with the weddings and funerals.
• Submit prelude and postlude selections which are to be included in the bulletin to the Pastor/Officiant and Office Manager in a timely manner. When unplanned events necessitate changes, communicate them immediately.
• In the event of an extended period of church services being held online, prepare an accompaniment for anthems and hymns and backing tracks for all singing parts for choir members to use for making music recordings for the church online services.
Salary is commensurate with experience and in line with the level for comparable positions in the area.