Purpose of Position: The Choir Director is responsible for working with the Pastor/Officiant to lead the musical portion of worship services by directing the senior choir in musical selections that enhance the congregation’s worship experience in the praise of God. Given the proper skill set, may assume the additional capacity and responsibility of the Organist and be known as the First Church Music Director.
• Strong musicianship skills and conducting experience to direct a four-part church choir and the ability to interpret various styles of music and implement them.
• Bachelor’s degree in music performance or conducting is preferred.
• Knowledge of worship tradition and a sufficient liturgical understanding to select music which is appropriate for worship.
• A reliable and dependable communicator, whose leadership fosters community building within the choir and is supportive of musicians of all skill levels.
• Help select and provide music for worship services and seasonal liturgies in conjunction with the Pastor/Officiant, and/or church leaders.
• Rehearse and direct the choir with the organist during the portion of the liturgical year when the choir performs; early September to late June, approximately 45 weeks.
• Prepare the choir for Sunday and future worship services during the weekly 90 minute evening rehearsal and during the 45 minute rehearsal prior to Sunday services.
• Coordinate choir rehearsal schedules, notify members in the event of a cancellation, and send reminders for special events.
• In the event of extended period of church services being held online, provide direction (tempo and other musical markings) to the accompanist to prepare an accompaniment and backing tracks for choir members to use for making music recordings for the online services.
• Maintain, organize, and expand the music library: Purchase new music as necessary with budgetary approval from Music Committee. Select and supervise a volunteer Music Librarian who would be responsible for the distribution, collection, and filing of music; keep file records, and the music library updated.
• Submit music selections which are to be included in the bulletin to the Pastor/Officiant and Office Manager in a timely manner. When unplanned events necessitate changes, communicate them immediately.
Salary is commensurate with experience and in line with the level for comparable positions in the area.